If you’re looking to start your journey as a bike frame builder we hope this index with resources helps you. The purpose of this page is to gather the best resources out there for people that are just starting or want to know what’s needed to build a bike frame.
Keep in mind that you could also check this page to search for frame building schools or buy a frame from a custom frame builder.
All about designing the perfect frame for a specific body. Tools and online resources to help you figure out the right size.
RattleCad: Similar to BikeCad, this software can help you design the frame that you want based on your boy dimensions and other variables. There’s a free and a paid version US$27.
Pithy Bikes YouTube channel explaining bike geometry and how to use BikeCad
Cobra Frame building designing a HardTail with BikeCad
Welding or Brazing
You might be wondering what type of technique is best, cheaper, or preferred. We gathered some resources on this section to help you choose your setup
Popular methods for “gluing” steel tubes are TIG welding, brazing with Oxy-Acetylene, and brazing with oxygen concentrator-propane.
- acetylene vs propane
- If you’re going to use a TIG welder check out this video from Cobra Framebuilding explaining the setup needed.
- If you’re just starting and want to go with the cheapest option then the Oxygen concentrator/ propane is the right option.
Oxy Concentrator and propane beginner setup:
- Torch handle – Some popular torches are Uniweld 71, Victor J-28, and Smith AW1A
- Tips – The site http://www.paigetools.com/ sells torches and tips specific for Propane / Oxy setups.
- Propane regulator – Example
- New or used O2 concentrator- Any Oxygen concentrator with 5 LMP should be enough. You can find them online on pages like dotmed.com or at Ebay.com
- AB fitting hose set – Like this one.
- Propane tank – The one you use for your barbecue. 🙂
Free Books and resources
Building a custom bike frame – Article from Pinkbike.com